Applications for Mentors Closing Soon
The Law Society of South Australia’s Women Lawyers Committee mentoring program seeks to unite female lawyers seeking guidance and support with more experienced practitioners (male or female) willing to commit time and energy to the professional development of a female lawyer in the early stages of their career.
The Mentoring Program will run from July 2019 – December 2019 and will involve a minimum of three meetings between the mentor and mentee as well as attending events where participants can meet, learn and share experiences.
We are first calling for mentors to submit an application to become part of a pool of potential mentors. Mentee applicants will then have an opportunity to apply for the Program and review the pool of mentors and select mentors with whom they would like to be matched based on practice area and interest.
Feedback provided following the 2016/2017 program, revealed that mentors also benefited from participating in the program.
David Martin, Managing Partner of Finlaysons, who was a mentor in the inaugural program, has shared the following benefits he received from the mentoring experience:
- The opportunity to get to know and share some of my professional experience with another member of the profession;
- The opportunity to learn from another member of the profession about her experiences of the profession, and some of her views about the profession;
- As a male mentor, exposure at a personal level to some of the issues and challenges that a young female practitioner faces;
- As a male mentor, an opportunity to ‘walk the talk’ re my own commitment to gender equity in the legal profession;
- The ability for the learnings referred to in 2 and 3 above to influence my own leadership role and decision making in my own firm.
The Women Lawyers Committee invites senior female and male members of the profession (10 years + PAE) who are willing to support the professional development of female lawyers (5 – 10 years PAE) to apply to form part of the mentor pool from 11 February 2019. Mentor applications close on 11 March 2019.
Applications for mentees will then open on 1 April 2019 and close on 10 May 2019.
Further information on the program can be found here and the application form here. Please return completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.