What Movies, Music, and My Annoying Family Teach About Being a Safe, Smart Lawyer
3 CPD units including Ethics, Practice Management/Business Skills and Professional Skills
Presenter: Stuart Teicher
Communication Breakdown: It's an awesome Led Zeppelin song, but also the root of many
ethical gaffes that face solicitors today. Spend an hour with Stuart Teicher as he breaks down some hot, timely Australian ethics issues and explains how the lessons learned from those matters can lead to improved relationships with your clients… and there just might be some rock-and-roll trivia that helps make some important points.
This program will provide one CPD point in Ethics.
Issues to be discussed include:
- Former client conflicts
- The danger of failing to memorialise client agreements and abide by undertakings
- The need to accurately set forth the scope of your services.
- The importance of effective communications about costs, fees, and other expectations
- Duty of competence
- Duty of communication
- Conflicts of interest
- Mandatory obligations regarding fee agreements and undertakings
My Grandma Can Improve Your Business Skills:
His Aunt Rose never taught anyone how to make her famous gravy, but Stuart will teach you the secret sauce of client relationships. His nutty cousin Barry has no sense of direction, but Stuart will teach you how to navigate a strategic plain that can guide your practice.
Stuart Teicher explains how the quirky characteristics of his unusual family offer key learnings in improving your ability to manage your practice and conduct the business of being a lawyer.
This program will provide one CPD point in Practice Management and Business Skills.
Topics to be covered include:
- Critical concerns in business and strategic planning that every lawyer should consider
- How your personal leadership style is important to effective staff management
- How the disruption caused by new technology might look scary, but is really an opportunity to enhance client relationships, and a bit about the effective use of technology
- How cultivating connections and understanding expectations improves your risk management
What Tom Cruise Teaches about Lawyer Professional Skills:
Is there anything that blockbuster actor Tom Cruise CAN'T teach us? Stuart Teicher's answer is a resounding "NO." Charismatic, driven, and successful Mr. Cruise's career can provide valuable lessons about improving lawyers' professional skills. Join Stuart Teicher as he shows us how connecting with clients doesn't have to be an impossible mission; how being a thought-leading Maverick can help create better interpersonal relationships with your client; and more. All we need are a few good men and women who want to smile their way through improving their professional skills.
Topics will include:
- Negotiation skills
- Client interviewing
- Giving Advice
- Communication and interpersonal skills